Wednesday 26 March 2014

Forensic Archaeology

A couple of weeks ago we had a guest speaker that really sparked my interest. Usually with guest lecturers who are really captivating speakers, they will grasp my attention for a few hours, or maybe even a couple days after the talk, but I have been thinking about this talk for a few weeks now. Our guest was a forensic archaeologist who works in South America. His work includes the excavation and identification of remains in mass burials, and the recording of evidence that proves war crimes happened in that country. What interested me most about his work was the incorporation of cultural anthropology with archaeology. Much of his work involved talking with local families about their experience of losing a loved one. I have always had a passion for archaeology, but after hearing this talk, I realized the impact you can make on someones life by using archaeological skills. Helping families reunite with deceased individuals seems like the most rewarding area of archaeology; much better than the satisfaction of writing a well received paper or getting your PhD. Forensic archaeology is something I would be really interested in pursuing, and I'm going to start by taking an osteology course next semester. However, this isn't a career path that I think anyone should jump into. It requires a lot of emotional discipline. Dealing with families that have suffered through wars and the death of their loved ones will not be an easy task, and just as difficult as digging up the remains and coming face to face with violent deaths of the recently deceased. The topic of genocide has never been one that I've studied extensively. I'm aware that it has happened and is happening, but never took into the consideration what that actually means. People, like me, are being killed because they are perceived as a threat. They may have done nothing wrong, nothing to deserve their fate. Forensic archaeology seems totally different than what I am used to. The dig I have been on was very low risk. We went into the trench knowing the worst thing that could happen is getting a little heat stroke, and you learned about the history of what you were digging along the way. Our guest's work could not be more different. The danger that surrounds him and his workers everyday is something I cannot imagine, and before going into these sites, you must have a knowledge of what you are doing there, and what has happened there. Upon talking to him after class, he informed me that volunteers must participate in workshops before starting work. He said that they must question your ability to deal with emotions. I'm sure he thought, looking at me, that I've never felt real pain in my life, and to the extend of the work he deals with, he would be absolutely right. I have no idea how I would react to being in a trench beside a deceased individual, while hearing their family members praying on the ground above me. If I try to picture it now, I'm sure I would be balling my eyes out. But I think I would be able to remind myself that I was there for a reason, and that is to give these families closure. Being there to help them does not include weighing anyone down with my own emotions, and I think by remembering that fact, I'd be able to pick myself up again and continue with the work that I went there to do. Forensic archaeology is a field that requires a lot of learning. You must learn about the country and people that you will be involved with, and I think you would learn a lot about yourself along the way.
Photo from SFU Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology http://www.sfu.museum/forensics/eng/pg_media-media_pg/archaeologie-archaeology/photo/85/

No comments:

Post a Comment